It is so frustrating to those of us who have for years done everything we could think of to curtail the use of fossil fuels. To now see climate chaos unfolding before our eyes. We knew the climate chaos we are living in now was going to occur if nothing was done to radically reduce the use of fossil fuels. Obviously we were unsuccessful in those efforts.
Increasingly frequent, severe, and widespread climate catastrophes are upending the lives of many and will continue to do so.
When the Climate Mobilization was founded at the People’s Climate March in 2014, there was no climate group publicly organizing around the need for WWII-scale emergency speed transition. We built and launched the Climate Emergency campaign in the United States and have worked with grassroots activists, political leaders, and organizations around the world to pass local Climate Emergency Declarations: the #ClimateEmergency movement has won over 740 so far. We’ve been working with our partners to build momentum upwards and outwards around the climate emergency and a massive-scale climate mobilization to match.https://www.theclimatemobilization.org/
The Climate Emergency Declaration expresses the need for a “economically just and managed phase-out” of fossil fuels and calls for a “national, social, industrial, and economic mobilization” to “halt, reverse, mitigate, and prepare” for the climate crisis and save our world
Resolution in Congress to declare a climate emergency
Progressive lawmakers are pushing a resolution to declare a climate emergency in the U.S., demanding “a massive-scale mobilization to halt, reverse, and address” climate change.
Sponsored by Reps. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-N.Y.) and Earl Blumenauer (D-Ore.) in the House and Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) in the Senate, the resolution calls climate change the result of human activity that requires “a national, social, industrial, and economic mobilization of the resources and labor of the United States.”
“This is a political crisis of inaction. It’s going to take political will, political courage in order for us to treat this issue with the urgency that the next generation needs,” Ocasio-Cortez said on a call with reporters to discuss the resolution.Ocasio-Cortez, Sanders lead push to declare climate emergency by Rebecca Beitsch, The Hill, 07/09/19
Sample letter to Congress
We are in a climate and ecological emergency. We urgently need a massive effort to reverse global warming and protect humanity and the natural world from collapse. It’s time for Congress to join over 740 local governments in 16 countries around the world in telling the truth about the climate. I urge you to sign on as a sponsor of the Climate Emergency Declaration.
I urge Congress to Declare a Climate and Ecological Emergency and:
– Mobilize people, resources, and companies on a scale larger than that of World War II to reverse global warming and prevent further catastrophe. This must be a wide-scale, inclusive, and equitable transformation and rebuilding of our society to one based on renewable energy, dignified employment, and economic opportunity.
– Democratically transition to a zero greenhouse gas emissions economy in ten years or less. This must be a just transition for workers and frontline communities that keeps fossil fuels in the ground.
– Hold a national People’s Assembly on the climate emergency
– Protect the entire web of life by working to end the sixth mass extinction. Protection of biodiversity is critical to our survival.
– Prioritize funding to repair the damage caused by fossil fuel and other extractive industries, so that Indigenous tribal communities, communities of color, and rural communities hit hardest by environmental injustice can have clean land, air and water.
Declare a Climate Emergency and protect all Americans, all humanity, and all living things, so that we can be safe for generations to come!
Note: Extinction Rebellion US demands a zero greenhouse gas emissions and zero fossil fuel economy by 2025.https://climateemergency.us/
Here’s how you can respond to the climate emergency. Click HERE