Extinction Rebellion was started in the United Kingdom in 2018. Extinction Rebellion uses nonviolent civil disobedience to attract mainstream media attention on the need for dramatic changes to try to avoid human extinction from environmental chaos. This is another sign that people are beginning to take matters into their own hands since governments are not doing so.
This video of an interview of Rory Varrato by Lee Camp of REDACTED is an excellent introduction to the Extinction Rebellion:
It is interesting to see how similar the ideas of Extinction Rebellion are to the Sunrise Movement. Both emphasize a decentralized structure and the use of nonviolent civil disobedience to get people’s attention, especially because of the corporate control of mainstream media.
Following are the vision and principles of Extinction Rebellion from it’s website https://rebellion.earth/who-we-are/
Vision: A world where we build thriving connections within our society and environment, bringing hope and enabling us to decide the direction of our lives and futures. An inclusive world, where we work consciously to ensure fair processes of collective decision-making, where creativity is prioritized, and where our diversity of gifts are recognized, celebrated and flourish.
Mission: To spark and sustain a spirit of creative rebellion, which will enable much needed changes in our political, economic and social landscape. We endeavor to mobilize and train organizers to skillfully open up space, so that communities can develop the tools they need to address deeply rooted problems. We work to transform our society into one that is compassionate, inclusive, sustainable, equitable and connected.
Aims: Support and encourage a citizens uprising involving low level and higher risk acts of civil disobedience by some (with others willing to support those that take actions). When ready, create a participatory, democratic process that discusses and improves a draft manifesto for change and a new constitution. This will involve creating a genuine democracy, alongside an economy to maximize well being and minimize harm.
- The Government must tell the truth about the climate and wider ecological emergency, reverse inconsistent policies and work alongside the media to communicate with citizens.
- The Government must enact legally binding policy measures to reduce carbon emissions to net zero by 2025 and to reduce consumption levels.
- A national Citizens’ Assembly to oversee the changes, as part of creating a democracy fit for purpose.
Principles and Values:
- We have a shared vision of change – creating a world that is fit for generations to come.
- We set our mission on what is necessary – mobilizing 3.5% of the population to achieve system change – using ideas such as “momentum-driven organizing” to achieve this.
- We need a regenerative culture – creating a culture which is healthy, resilient and adaptable.
- We openly challenge ourselves and this toxic system – leaving our comfort zones to take action for change.
- We value reflecting and learning – following a cycle of action, reflection, learning, and planning for more action. Learning from other movements and contexts as well as our own experiences.
- We welcome everyone and every part of everyone – working actively to create safer and more accessible spaces.
- We actively mitigate for power – breaking down hierarchies of power for more equitable participation.
- We avoid blaming and shaming – we live in a toxic system, but no one individual is to blame.
- We are a non-violent network – using non-violent strategy and tactics as the most effective way to bring about change.
- We are based on autonomy and decentralization – we collectively create the structures we need to challenge power. Anyone who follows these core principles and values can take action in the name of RisingUp!