Is there finally hope for climate action (or any action) in Congress?
“Bringing moral courage to American politics” is the title of this video of Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez’s appearance on the Daily Show with Trevor Noah on July 29, 2018, where she explains her approach to politics. This was before her successful election to Congress.
This video shows her joining protestors for climate change outside Nancy Pelosi’s office on the first day of freshman orientation.
A brief summary of what I’m beginning to learn about her is that she won election without any PAC money, and has pledged to never take PAC money.
She believes she is morally obligated to work to provide a living wage, affordable college tuition, Medicare for all and transitioning away from fossil fuels.
When asked how to pay for these things, she says we need:
- to make corporations pay their fair share in taxes
- a carbon tax
- to reprioritize our budget, expecially, for example, reducing the defence budget
Particularly exciting is the draft resolution Congresswoman Ocasio-Cortez has rolled out for a Green New Deal select committee with the authority to develop a “detailed, national, industrial, economic mobilization plan for the transition of the United States economy to become carbon neutral and to significantly draw down and capture greenhouse gases from the atmosphere and oceans and to promote economic and environmental justice and equality.”
From The Climate Mobilization:
Here is what you can do right now to help:
- Check out the Green New Deal action guideand determine how you can support
- Sign up for the Green New Deal Day of Action on Tuesday: Click here for details and to sign up.
- Call and tweet at key leaders of the Congressional Progressive Caucus right now to ask them to support the creation of the select committee: Click here to start making calls.