The rally of the third week of the Poor People’s Campaign was held across the street from North High School in Des Moines, Iowa. The themes were gun violence and militarism. People spoke about school gun violence, violence against people of color, being attacked by drones, and Afghanistan. A Veteran for Peace spoke, saying “war is not the answer.”
- We demand an end to military aggression and war-mongering.
- We demand a stop to the privatization of the military budget and any increase in military spending.
- We demand a strong Veterans Administration system that remains public.
- We demand a ban on assault rifles and a ban on the easy access to firearms.
- We demand the demilitarization of our communities on the border and the interior.
- We demand an end to federal programs that send military equipment into local and state communities.
- We demand that the call to build a wall at the U.S.-Mexico border be ceased.
- We demand an immigration system that, instead of criminalizing people for trying to raise their families, prioritizes family reunification, keeps families together, and allows us all to build thriving communities in the country we call home.